Related traits – dependability, reliability.
“The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today.” – Elbert Hubbard
Responsibility is being dependable in carrying out obligations and duties. It is showing reliability and consistency in words and conduct. It is being accountable for your own actions.
Everyone has responsibilities and it is very important children learn that they are expected to accept responsibility for their choices and actions. Children must learn to finish any job or duty to the best of their ability.
Responsibility – How to teach it and how to show it
- Never do for children what they can do for themselves.
- Encourage children to attempt to do things for themselves.
- Reward children for their effort as well as their accomplishments.
- Assign daily, age appropriate, chores.
- Expect children to finish tasks they begin.
- Let your children make decisions for themselves.
- Communicate to your children that you have confidence in their abilities.
- Explain the responsibilities of each family member.
Your child can show responsibility by:
- Getting up, getting dressed, and eating breakfast in time to leave for school.
- Doing homework on time and keeping school supplies in order.
- Beginning a savings account.
- Taking care of his/her room/belongings